Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

i have found a small breast lump in the area under my breast,

i have found a small breast lump in the area under my breast, towards the side, rib cage area. it feels round or oval, smooth, firm but rubbery. i can move it back and forth.
it's about the size of a small pea.
i'm so terrified. can you give me an idea of the chances of this being something serious?

This is not likely to be anything serious. The most common swelling of this kind are lipofibroma and neurofibroma. The are benign (non cancerous) swellings. No harm in getting an evaluation by your primary care physician.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i forgot to mention i'm female. when they say than not cancerous growth are more likely to be movable, do they mean say...movable from side to side (like mine) or do they mean the mass can move location , in other words not attcahed. mine is clearly attached but can move around.
i'm sorry if this is vague. i'm just so scared!

We wrongly attach fear to the lumps or swelling. Majority of them are benign. A movable swelling is very likely to be benign. In the breast tissue; it would be fibroadenoma, which is again a non cancerous swelling and is quite common. Near to the breast tissue; these are likely to be composed of variety of tissue like fat tissue, nerve tissue, fibrous tissue etc. And in all likelihood to be benign.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Edited by Dr. Arun Phophalia on 6/7/2010 at 4:27 PM EST