Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I breathed in bleach fumes when cleaning grout yesterday, and

I breathed in bleach fumes when cleaning grout yesterday, and then had a severe sinus problems: sneezing, running - some coughing, and brief nausea. The sinus symptoms went on throughout the night, so much so that I had trouble sleeping. I took some cold medicine - and was able to sleep. I feel somewhat better today, but am wondering if I should see a doctor?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for the question today. I will be happy to help you with this.

Bleach can actually cause chemical burns in the airway if the fumes are strong enough and if you are not in a well-ventilated area. Cough, shortness of breath, and even the nasal symptoms are all symptoms of exposure (or over exposure) and usually clear up after fresh air is obtained. If any of your symptoms persists or are bothersome, you will need to let your Dr check you out.

It has been a pleasure helping you today. Please click "Accept" if our conversation has been helpful. If I can help you further, please reply. If not, thank you for using and hope you will use the service again soon.

Hi there, by persists, I mean if they continue on today or if any of your symptoms worsen, you will need to go ahead and let your Dr examine you.