A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Hi Dr, My urine tastes sugar(sweet). Prior to tasting it few

Hi Dr, My urine tastes sugar(sweet). Prior to tasting it few mins ago, i had taken about Half a litre of sugary soft drink.(although on the soft drink it says no sugar.perhaps some other kind of sweetner) Please Dr,does this mean i am diabetic? Or could it be that i had taken more of the sugary drink and my body is passing the rest out?

I must say that i did a fasting diabetes test(blood glucose) three weeks ago and it came out okay. In view of this,pls what do you think?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. It takes a blood test to see if you have diabetes. It is more likely that your urine is flavored by whatever you drank a while ago. By the time someone is spilling sugar into their urine, they also have other diabetes symptoms such as frequent urination and thirst. So find something more traditional to drink and leave your urine in the toilet. Tasting urine hasn't been a diagnostic method since long before either of us were born.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much. I thought i should be more elaborate. However,i did a diabetes test(blood glucose) three weeks ago and it came out okay. In view of this,pls what do you think?

I think it probably isn't diabetes if you had a normal blood test 3 weeks ago.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you

Okay,kool. But how do i explain the sygary taste? Is it normal for one to pass out sugary urine after taking sugary drink?
It is more or less normal for urine to taste like whatever the kidneys have removed from your food and beverages. If it is a substance that tastes sugary, then the urine may taste like sugar. However, tasting urine in itself is not something normal people usually do.