Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

My stomach has been hurting a lot for about 2 weeks. I went

My stomach has been hurting a lot for about 2 weeks. I went to urgent care and the doctor could'nt figure out what was the cause and recommended a specialist. In the meantime my urine detected a urinary track infection for which I'm now taking medicine for 7 days. I hardly get sick & I always stay away from medication, unless it is to treat specific detected ailment(s) in my body. I have been reading about possible ailments in the Food Bible for ailments and I looked under possible sickness like ulcers, galbladder stones for which the author, Dr. Jilliam McKeith provides a description on symptoms & ways to prevent, treat or cure the condition. Based on her advice to pay attn to the color of my BM, this morning I saw something scarry. Out of my body I passed a thin worm, about 3-4" long. I have 3 kids & I don't know if I'm contagious or if they may have it. I did go camping with my son bout 3 wks ago. My stomach hurts only sometimes & appendicities symptoms. What can I do.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

You need to get the condition that is causing your symptoms treated to resolve those symptoms. If you believe you have some sort of parasite (worms), see your doctor to get tested. These infections are easily treated, which should resolve all of your GI symptoms.

In the meantime, worms are contagious and are passed by others ingesting eggs or larva that is found in the stools of the infected person. To keep from spreading this you should wash your hands thoroughly with warm water and soap after using the bathroom; wipe down all surfaces in the bathroom with a disinfectant each time you use the bathroom; and wash your hands before handling food or eating utensils for anyone else.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Valarie,

Thank you for your answer. I just read that raw port, meat and fish can cause larve to transfer when eaten raw. I dont eat raw anything. I do wash my hands all the time. Over the weakend I bbq'd meat. Is that possible over the weekend or over 3 wks (sons camping trip)? or is it something that just grows slowly. It is possible to just have one tapeworm and does it mean it's a segment of a bigger one or not necessarily? and can

I still drink coffee. I don't know if I have an ulcer,or other ailments. I was told that coffee doesn't help with galblader, ulcer or the like. I haven't been prperly diagnosed with any yet but is it safe to still enjoy a morning cup of coffee or 2?

The mode of transmission depends on the type of parasite. The description of the worm you saw would be more like a common round worm. This can be contracted by eggs that are normally found in dirt and get accidently ingested with your food. So, you may have picked up something while you were camping. It doesn't sound like a tapeworm. Most of the time you would not see evidence of tape worm segments.

Whatever it is, if in fact it is a worm infestation, your doctor can do some simple stool tests to determine if you have an infection, what it is, and then be able to treat it very easily.

You can eat or drink anything you want if it does not cause stomach upset, it is not likely to make a difference (if this is a worm infection).

Edited by Valarie on 6/5/2010 at 8:44 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Valarie,

I just got back from taking my kids out. Question regarding the possibility of eggs being picked up from dirt. I went camping within the last month. Could an egg(s) grow to be that large in the aloted time. I have seen pictures of tapeworm and they are flat unlike what I extracted. I just read on "worms" in Gilliam McKeith's Food Bible & apparently there are round worms, pin worms and tapeworms. I think it was a round worm, but I don't know what they look like. She points out to keep away from refined foods and sugars, etc. but can a egg(s) grown that fast inside the stomach?

Round worms typically take about 2 months or so from the time egg(s) are ingested. If you are good with personal hygiene before eating, cook your meat and wash your fruits/vegetables you probably don't have worms at all. There are many possibilities for your symptoms. The "worm-like" thing you saw could have been some food that was not digested well, which may go along with your other symptoms. Here's a link to the lifecycle of the human roundworm from the CDC.

The more likely possibility is that your symptoms are from the urinary tract infection, and antibiotic you are taking. A UTI can cause quite a bit of abdominal discomfort, and antibiotics commonly cause gastrointestinal complaints of all sorts (nausea, gas, bloating, pain, cramping, diarrhea, even vomiting).

Just in case it's the antibiotic, you can eat some yogurt daily (make sure it has live/active cultures). Then, follow-up with your doctor when you are finished with the antibiotic to make sure the UTI is cleared. If you are still having symptoms, report these to your doctor so some testing can be done to determine what the problem is.

Other problems with the GI tract (such as you mentioned above) can cause problems with digesting food---so you may see odd things in your stools because of it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Good Morning Valarie,

I just read your message. Actually what came out was moving and alive. I did call the doctor and he said to save the thing with rubbing alcholol to preserve it and send it to the lab for Id. If it takes about two months, does that mean I am contagious at all? My 6 youngest son came over to my bedside this morning and I can heard him chugged down my water. Im afraid he may get it. Also, could any of my children give'n it to me if they have it? They play alot in the backyard without shoes. There is grass and mud that forms when the squirt the waterhoes on each other, trailing back all that. I'm very worried. I don't have tremendous energy to disinfect everything all at one because I get tire alot. My boys can't seem to follow through with any chores let alone new chores without supervision. They are 10, 8 & 6. Before I learned about this yesturday, my 13 yr old nephew came over to celebrate his birthday & stay over 4 the wkend. My sister with 14month old baby was scheduled to pick him up. Am I contagious to the baby & my sister, to any?

The most likely worm infection, then by the description would be a round worm. Pin worms are tiny and tapeworms would show very occasional segments, but not a whole worm.

The transmission of this creature is by swallowing infective eggs. For this to be spread to others, then, you would have to prepare food with unwashed hands after toileting or bathing. Or, someone could possibly pick up eggs from the bathroom you used for toileting or bathing. Less likely, but possible.

Other than that, you are not "contagious". Someone drinking after you, for example, will not pick up anything.

I would suggest that you keep your hands scrupulously clean. And the best thing to do if you are too fatigued to disinfect your shower, toilet and wash basin after use is to use a separate bathroom (if this is possible) until you have been cleared of this infection. Also, any towels and washcloths used by you during bathing must be put immediately into the laundry so no one else could accidentally use them before they are washed and dried in a dryer.