Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

i have a lump on the back of my hand that is sometimes uncomfortable

i have a lump on the back of my hand that is sometimes uncomfortable it can make my fingers ache on either side of the lump but is not painful when pushed on

Where exactly is the lump?
Does it feel firm?
Is it red?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the lump is an inch infront of my wrist in line with my middle finger on my left hand. it does move when i wiggle my fingers. it's not a hard lump but feels firm. its not red

Thank you for the additional information,

It sounds like you may have a ganglion cyst, although it will need to be confirmed by an exam by your doctor.

These are cysts that develop over the sheaths of tendons or joints. It is common to see them in the wrist area. The cause is really unknown.
In some cases, they will spontaneously regress (go away). If not, and they are bothersome, you can have them treated by aspiration of the fluid and injection of a steroid or removal.
They are not cancerous.

Here is more information for you about these cysts:

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have and I will be happy to discuss further.

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!