Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

3 Days ago i accidentally stabbed myself with a kitchen knife

3 Days ago i accidentally stabbed myself with a kitchen knife between my thumb and index finger. It did go slightly deep but i did not get stitches. I dressed it myself and applied neosporin to it covered by a bandage and it is now starting to slowly close up.

I am starting to develop this dark under the skin bruise around it traveling up my thump and a little over hand and down wrist today. Is this normal? It really doesnt hurt anymore, but should i have this checked out or is the brusing all around normal?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

No. This is not normal and should be looked by your physician. There is a significant chance that it can be a mild grade infection traveling in the facial (tissue plane between skin subcutaneous tissue and muscles) planes. Even a blood tricking down to distance up to wrist will need an attention of a doctor. You may need a course of antibiotics. Meanwhile take Ibuprofen (Motrin), if you are not already taking it, which acts as an anti-inflammatory agent.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Oh wow, ya now im worried. I will make an appt in morning. There is no swelling at all and no pain really. I hope it can still be taken care of.

This is not worrying or serious issue, though, I must say. It only needs attention and may be a precautionary course of antibiotic, to be on the safer side.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun