Devra K
Devra K, Nurse
Experience:  Rn for 24 years with Med/Surg, ICU, Behavioral Health experience and MORE
24493202

im currentlt taking clonozapam for about a year and a half

im currentlt taking clonozapam for about a year and a half now i was fine until i took the depoprovera shot and about a month after taking it my anxiety just keeps getting worse. i recently went to my phychiatrist and he told me that it would be a good idea to put me on something else while weening me off the current medication im on. ive taken zoloft, paxil lexaro and effexor b4 i started taking the clonozapam and they made ut worse. my doctor says this means that my body doesnt take well to those classes of medications. is there any way you can tell me what class or any medication that u think will help me?
Category: Health
Expert:  Devra K replied 7 years ago.

Hello Tracy, my name isXXXXX am a Registered Nurse (BSN) with 24 years experience in Med/Surg, ICU, Neurosurgery and Behavioral Health and I would be happy to help you today.

Unfortunately, it is hard to determine which class of antidepressants would help you the most. It is often hit or miss when prescribing these meds. Some work while others do not and sometimes you have to try several different types before finding the one that works best for you. We are not sure why some will work while others do not.

The class of drugs you were taking are called SSRI (serotonin reuptake inhibitors). Your psychiatrist will prescribe some thing in a different class after the current antidepressant leaves your system. If you recall, it can take up to 6 weeks for a new antidepressant to start working, so it does take some time to clear your system.

No one can tell you with absolute certainty what class of antidepressant will work for you. Like I said, some will work, some will not.

In the meantime, remember that your anxiety may get worse during this transition. This is when coping techniques will come in handy when dealing with anxiety. Anxiety will come and go. When you are anxious, try to distract yourself from your thoughts by watching tv, taking a shower, taking a walk, exercising, cleaning, whatever will put the body in motion to give your brain a rest. Meditation will also help.

I wish you the best of luck.

If you have any further questions, please ask.

Sincerely,

Devra

If this has answered your question, please click Accept.

If you need clarification, please ask.

Feedback is appreciated!