Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

lower back and buttocks pain knee and groin..abnormal

I'm a 22 y/o F who is in EMS I was injured and have had lower back and buttocks pain radiating into my knee and groin all on the R side. I found out today that I have mild narrowing of L4-5 and an abnormal alignment. I'd like to know what I can do. Treatment wise. At times the stabbing pain is excruciating to the point where I can not do my job.

following non surgical options not involving pain relievers can be tried;

1) Back care in the activities of daily living, which is an integral component of the treatment of back problems. Back education is one of the most important thing which teaches the basic body mechanics, like correct posture for standing, standing at a desk or drawing board, sitting, brushing teeth, washing the face, pushing and pulling a weight, lifting a weight, getting in and out of bed, sleeping, getting into and sitting in a car. The training for these routine activity helps in preventing the spasm of the muscles. One needs to consult an occupational therapist or physical therapist which can educate about the proper and improper behaviors when back is painful in case one has to sit, bend forward, lie down, walk, cough, or sneeze. Following more need to be done:

a) Avoid activities which increases the pain.

b) Rest intermittently

c) Avoid bending at 90 degrees

d) Pushing and pulling should be avoided till pain subsides

f) Avoid prolonged sitting and standing

g) Avoid sitting or sleeping on floor

2) Chiropractor manipulation

3) Local analgesic gels or sprays / ointment

4) Hot fomentation

5) Deep Electrotherapy (done at physical therapy centers); like trans cutaneous electrical nerve stimulation,short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation, phonophoresis, iontophoresis, relaxation, and biofeedback.

6) Good supervised physiotherapy in the swimming pool. Spa treatment/mild massage may also help.

7) Lumbosacral corset or support or brace

8) If obese or over weight, reduce weight for long term benefit.

9) Epidural steroid shots

10) Acupuncture

11) Lumbar traction

12) Tilt table; it gives traction due to the posture.

Surgery is usually last resort, when the above conservative measures fail.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had been doing physical therapy for a week and the pain would either get worse or stay the same depending on the activity I'm worried abt long terms effects. Is this permanent or will the suggestions you offer besides surgery help to correct the problem Mainly is this something I'll have to deal with for the rest of my life? And unfortunately I work at a small town Ambulance service and taking more days off is unexceptable. On a day to day basis I lift anywhere from 3 to 15 people a day. I am on the slender side for my height.

You cannot go to your work till you pain comes down to the zero level. And even after that for 6 weeks, you should not lift weight more than 10 lbs. Physical therapy is the mainstay of the treatment and I did not mention that in my last reply because you said that you are already doing it and it aggravates your pain. The basic principles of the physical therapy are;

1) Be very gentle with the body.

2) Do not do those exercises which are painful. You would need to guide your therapist about it.

3) Ask the physical therapist to not get over enthusiastic/aggressive with the exercise regime. Go slow is the watch word.

4) Be patient.

This can take about 6 weeks to get better or to get complete relief. This is not a life long problem and once you get better, everything including the sporting activities are allowed, once your back muscles are again strengthened.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun