Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

happening once a month for 2 days

I have had a fib for 5 years. it is happening once a month for 2 days. last time it was 4 days. I have been given a prescription for amiodarone after reading the side effects i have decided not to take it . Could you give me an honest opinion of what you think of the drug and its effects. ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 6 years ago.
dear customer,

The risk:benefit ratio has o be kept in mind when a person is on the drug.The drug amiodaraone does have side effect but the benefits are more for you since it will help to prevent the atrial fibrillation.

The atrial fibrillation if not controlled may lead to complication if not controlled.

You may consult the cardiologist and get the change in drug if the symptoms are not controlled.The other drugs used are digoxin, sotalol etc.

The serum electrolytes should also be checked and controlled to normal range.

Here is the link for more information

treatment of atrial fibrillation

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am very afraid to take the drug. what complications can happen with a fib. I have been told it is not dangerous.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 6 years ago.
dear customer,

The mild atrial fibrillation with rate 60-100 is not so dangerous but the person is at more risk of having stroke and heart failure is the abnormal rythm is not controlled with medications.

Its better that you take the drug as advised by your doctor.

Here is the link for more information

complicatiosns of fibrillation

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the first day it goes to 120 then it is at 80 to 100 . Wouldn't toprol be good enough to help it?
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 6 years ago.
dear customer,

The toprol is a beta blocker and is used to treat the high blood pressure and heart failure.It is not indicated for treatment of atrial fibrillation.Though it may help to decrease the heart rate.

here is the link for more information

indication of toprol

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Edited by Dr. RK on 6/2/2010 at 2:22 AM EST