Doctor Mark
Doctor Mark, Doctor
Experience:  board certified in Internal Medicine. Over 30 years of geriatric and primary care experience

I have recently, 3 weeks ago, hurt my right testicle after

I have recently, 3 weeks ago, hurt my right testicle after catching it awkwardly with the end of a finger whilst scratching it in my sleep. I was awoken by a sharp pain that lasted for about a minute and then subsided allowing me to go back to sleep. Since then I have noticed discomfort similar to a dull ache /throb on the area around the testcle and to the side of my scrotum on the right side.

This does not really go away and I have been to see a GP who has given me a one weeks course of antibiotics for what he thinks is an epiditimis problem.

I am not convinced as I know that the injury was definatley caused by my finger and I am, concerned that there is something more going on. There are no lumps or swelling but this ache is constant. Can you advise me? Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor Mark replied 6 years ago.
Hi, I would advise getting an ultrasound of the testicle and seeing a urologist. There might be a hematoma in the testicle and this can be detected by ultrasound.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks. Can you elaborate as I am due to return to Iraq in 2 weeks and I doubt that I would get any appointments in that time. Do i need to be overly concerned? There are no problems when urinating or ejaculating but the ache is making me more concious of it every day.

I don't think you have a serious problem. It is most likely due to the trauma. You can apply ice and take ibuprofen.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

One last one for you how long do you think it would be for the ibuprofen / antibiotics to work and if there is no change over the next 7 days what would you be saying then. I only say this as the discomfort is more noticeble each day and I would have thought 3 weeks would have seen an improvement with it not the other way.

I will accept your answer once we are done and thank you for your time.

I don't really think you need antibiotics. This doesn't sound like an infection. The ibuprofen should be taken for about a week. If thngs don't get better, then you will need to see a urologist and get an ultrasound.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks Mark.

I have accepted your answer and respect your advice and hope that this resolves itself before I have to depart for Iraq again. I was just afraid it was twisted or something and the ache was as a result of the blood flow being restricted.

Hope you have a good evening.

If symptoms persist you will need to see a urologist. Good luck.