Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

I had yearly check up with blood test. The blood test showed,

I had yearly check up with blood test. The blood test showed, that I have middle low platelet. Doctor asked for new blood test and my blood goes goagulated three times already. What that means?
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Could you please clarify for me if you meant to say that your blood goes "coagulated"? How do you know that it happens? Is this the first time you found out that your plateletes were slightly low? Do you happen to know the exact number? Any other abnormalities on your blood work?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello Julia,
In March of 2010 I went for yearly check up and also they draw my blood. My bloodtest was ok, as far I remember the red cells were ok, the white cells were ok, I had a little higher cholesterol cca 260? , but I am not sure. Thehe was note from lab tht the platelet are middly low, sorry I don't remember exactly but, I think the number was 21? So doctor want me wait one month and go for blood test after one month. So i April I went for blood test. After ten days, the lab called me and said, they do not know what happen but the boold coagulated and asked me to come again, which I did. Couple of days the lab called me again and said, they do not what is wrong that the boold coagulated again. So when I went for second time I asked her what that mean a she said, maybe the tube was old, but she was nao sure. Then I had again call and I was ask to go to different lab in local hospital for blood drawing. And today the nurse called me and said they do not know what is wrong,that the platelet coagulated again and send me to the hematology/oncology which I am now scare to death.

Thank you for your reply.

I doubt that your platelet number was 21 because that is extremely low, not just borderline low. Usually when platelets are low it means that your blood is too thin and you would bruise easier and bleed more (however, not if the number is XXXXX borderline low, at border line low number you would not have any problems).

On the other hand Coagulated blood means that it thickens up and forms a clot which is completely opposite from having low platelets.

I still have a suspicion that the reason that your blood coagulated was an improper collection of blood (either incorrect stick, or bad test tube, or the test tube set for too long before being tested). The fact that it happened 3 times and in 2 different laboratories is a bit strange, however in March your blood work was normal (except for slightly low platelets).

There are a lot of different blood disorders which is why you are being referred to a hematologist. Most likely you will be just fine, however, a hematologist (who is a specialist in blood disorders, not only in cancer treatment) might order a set of very unique blood tests which are only known and understood by a hematologist for further evaluation.

At this point I would say that you do not need to worry so much. You will need to have some more blood work done (hopefully in the hematologist's office) for further evaluation. I do not think you are being referred to a hematologist/oncologist on the suspicion of cancer. If anything, he will be evaluating why your blood appears too thick.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If I have answered your question, please click the green 'Accept' button. Otherwise your deposit stays with JustAnswer and I do not get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Julia, I thank you sooo much. I think you right. When I went for the blood test I was fasting and I did not drink even water.

Thank you again, I am satisfy with your answer.

You are very welcome.

Please let me know how your appointment with hematologist goes.

If you were satisfied with the answer, could you please click the green 'Accept' button (only click once). Otherwise I wont get credit.

Thank you very much.