Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

it gets stuck about half way and I use water to force it down

Ive never chewed my food properly for as long as i can remember and its never bothered me until the last year or so. I have to really slow down or it gets stuck about half way and I use water to force it down once the liquid came up wife did the heimlich. almost happened again today. really hard to adjust to baby bites when your hungry. could this be due to weight gain also?
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 6 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

Your description of your swallowing difficulty sounds like you have a problem with the esophagus. There are many problems that can cause "esophageal dysphagia", or the problem of food getting hung up in the esophagus. This problem needs to be assessed by your doctor so that it can be treated. The usual problems are strictures or narrowing of the esophagus; spasms of the muscles in the esophagus; or the sphincter that opens into the stomach is not opening and allowing food to pass as it should. It doesn't usually have anything to do with weight gain by itself.

Until you see your doctor, soft foods and very moist foods (added sauces, gravy, etc) can be easier to get down, but you should continue to chew very thoroughly. Also, as you have said, eating very small well chewed bites and following this with sips of liquid.

Here is a link to some reliable information about Difficulty Swallowing.