Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

fullness in my upper abdomen like my diaphragm is going to explode

Customer Question

Two weekends ago I went to a wedding and drank a lot of alcohol. Ever since then I have been feeling tired and lethargic. Today I woke up feeling fine, and on my way to school developed a fullness in my upper abdomen like my diaphragm is going to explode. This caused me to feel like I could not get a big clear breath. When I was walking up the stairs to my class, I became short of breath and my breathing was rapid and hard. I felt like I just wanted to fall over and pass out. All day since I have been feeling bloated and uncomfortable. The symptoms seem to get a little worse when I get up and walk around, but then I feel descent when I just sit back and relax. I have a slight problem with anxiety, but I don't know.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 years ago.

I would recommend that you see a doctor and have these symptoms checked out further. You might have induced a bout of alcohol related hepatitis as one possible scenario. The liver rests just below the right side of the diaphragm. Inflammation of the liver could make you feel lethargic and could affect your diaphragm function on this side. Another possible scenario could be alcohol induced pancreatitis. I tend to doubt this as the likely problem as you would probably be sicker than you seem to describe and would be more likely to have significant abdominal pain with acute pancreatitis. Other aspects of this could fit as pancreatitis can cause an ileus(little or no bowel activity due to the inflammation ) which could make you feel bloated.Acute pancreatitis can even cause inflammation to greatly affect the diaphragm and may even cause pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs). I repeat that your general description does not strike me as being of a severe enough nature to really highly suspect a bad episode of acute pancreatitis. There is enough in your description that I think warrants a good physical exam and some blood tests which I would include your blood counts, inflammatory markers, liver and pancreatic enzymes.

I hope this information helps. Further questions are welcome if you have others. I will be happy to get back with you if you have further questions. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank you and Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Even though I have been not feeling right, but not bad, this episode just started suddenly. The night before, monday night, i felt bloated after eating very little all night. I though that maybe this problem was more of a digestive problem or just my anxiety, but the symptoms seem so intense sometimes. Also, I must add that my symptoms seem to go away a little when I'm not thinking about them. I have been having this bloating problem for a while, or this feeling of bloatness. I had a beer the other night, and it didn't cause any symptoms or anything.

Hello again,

You are young and presumably otherwise healthy. It may be that the heavy alcohol may have caused an ulcer or some gastritis to develop.

If you don't get regular strenuous exercise then you may be getting out of shape and this might be the explanation for you tiring easily with stairs and having a rapid increase in pulse and feeling short of breath. Anemia could also produce these symptoms.

Again, if this is an ongoing thing then i would recommend that you have it checked out.

I hope this helps. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD