Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

My dad is very, very tired. This is not at all like him. He

My dad is very, very tired. This is not at all like him. He goes to the VA for everything and has a colonoscopy scheduled for 6/14/2010. He isn't eating but once a day very little and little to drink. Just to tired no upset stomach. He has had a bloody stoll today though.

I was wondering if he should see a doctor or go to ER?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Does he appear pale?
Was there a lot of blood in his stool? Clots?
Diarrhea?
Does he appear dehydrated? (dry mouth, not urinating as much?, dizziness?)
Is he confused at all?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

A little pale.

Dark bloody no Clots

No Diarrhea

Seems to be drinking although not a lot seems to be enough, Not urinating as much.

No Dizziness No Confusion.

Because he goes to the VA only I wanted him to go see a doctor so he would be able to communicate with all the specialist he has been and make sure his medicine is not part of his problem.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I can understand that.

The dark bloody stool is concerning.
This can be due to a bleeding diverticula (which is a pocket in the left side of the colon). These can bleed quite briskly/heavily.
Bleeding can also be due to blood vessel malformations, infections, polyps or colitis (inflammation of the colon).

Slow bleeding and heavy bleeding can lead to a low blood count (hemoglobin) which can cause fatigue, shortness of breath, dizziness and pale appearance.

If he has not had a CBC (blood count done) he needs to have this done.
If the fatgue is a significant change today, he appears ill and continues to have bloody stool I would take him back to the emergency room. I would also take him in if he develops any dizziness or shortness of breath.

If he does not have any further bleeding, is drinking fluids and is acting like he has been over the last few weeks, it can likely wait until the am to see his regular doctor.
BUT, if he has any more bleeding I would take him in.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Edited by Dr. Abby on 6/1/2010 at 8:39 PM EST