luvtohelp, Doctor
Experience:  six years of direct patient care

Im 95% sure that my 4 month old has acid reflux but my doctor

Customer Question

I'm 95% sure that my 4 month old has acid reflux but my doctor refuses to do any tests and barely listens to me when i bring up my conerns. What should I do.
Category: Health
Expert:  luvtohelp replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I am pleased to assist you. I can tell you that nearly all babies have some form of reflux that they gradually grow out of. Docs become concerned when the spitting up or vomiting up of food causes weight loss or lack of weight gain. Also concerning are arching of the back and stiffening postures that babies do with severe reflux (so bad it's often confused with seizures).

things that are highly concerning are projectile vomiting or vomiting that follows most feeds. Spitting up is okay. Remedies include adding rice to formula (to thicken it and help keep it down. Meds such as zantac (ranitidine) used to be used often to treat baby reflux but this is now outdated practice (and overdone because, as I said, nearly all babies have some reflux). baby reflux can also be helped by not feeding the child laying down and letting the child sleep with head slightly elevated.

Really, bad reflux needs to be evaluated and could warrant surgical intervention. But this is in the more extreme cases as I mentioned above.

I do hope I have helped you and I wish you all the best.

Is there anything else I can help you with? If not please accept this answer.