Dr.S.A.Alam
Dr.S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(Internal medicine/cardiology) MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

I am 33 and female. My feet to the ankle and my hands are VERY

Customer Question

I am 33 and female. My feet to the ankle and my hands are VERY swelled. I am on 20 mg of Lasik whenever I need it. I have been swelled for the past 4 days and I have taken the medicine each day, but my swelling isn't going down at all. There is a crease at the end of my toes where they meet the foot and another crease where the foot meets the ankle. The swelling is making it hurt whenever I walk.
I also have severe asthma and for some reason, may be nothing related at all, my breathing has been acting up a lot for the past 3 days.
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to what I should do. I call my doctor, but he will not be back in the office until the 7th. I call our physician exchange, but they told me that I need to call his office. I did explain that he was out of town and she hung up.
Thank you in advance for any help, it is appreciated.
Racheal Besson
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.S.A.Alam replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question,

what was the cause found for this swelling of feet and ankles ?

was it heart problem, malnutrition, liver problem or kidney problem ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My doctor never figured out why they were swelling. They tested my heart and it wasn't that. It is not malnutrition. They didn't check my liver or kidneys.
He decided to quit testing at the time, because my husband was in the hospital for back surgery and I needed to be with him more than in the office having tests ran. He put me on the Lasix to use whenever the swelling started and that was the end. I have been back to see him 4 times for the swelling in my legs and hands, but he tells me to keep taking the Lasix.

Thank you for your input,

Only taking lasix with no diagnosis is not an answer your question,

Heart functions needs to be checked by echocardiography, if it turns out to be normal

then we can consider other causes like liver and renal dysfunction as then possible

causes of this swelling. This can be ruled out by simple blood tests.

I know you are in a difficult situation and do not have enough time for your self,

sacrificing your health for your husband does shows how much you care for him.

Important point is that only taking lasix with no diagnosis is not enough to settle your

swelling. you may need further medicine once exact cause is pointed after the tests that

i have mentioned.

I hope this answers your question.