Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

4) during sleep if you fall back asleep quickly (within 10-15 mins)

Is it detrimental for your health to wake up multiple times in the night (3-4) during sleep if you fall back asleep quickly (within 10-15 mins)?

Do you know why you are waking up frequently?
Do you snore?
Feel rested in the morning?
Fall asleep during the day?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had minor surgery two months ago and have been battling insomnia ever since (have completely recovered physically). I was initially on 1 mg at night of xanax for two weeks for sleep (not a lot of help), then 1-2 mg of restoril for two weeks (not a lot of help), and then finally lorazapam which I have been on for 4 weeks. I initially took 3 mg, have weaned myself down to about 1.5 mg. I don't love the way it makes me feel the next day. I'm hoping to wean myself off altogether, which is why I'm looking for an answer. I'd rather be medication free, and wake up a few times in the night if that's the way my sleep is going to be. I had a sleep study done, and all results were normal (no apnea etc). I feel tired/zombie like a lot of days, unfortunately, but I have no clue if it's from the lorazapam or frequent wakenings.
I know how awful insomnia can be....
If you have had a normal sleep study, then I would try to stop the lorazepam and see if you can restore a normal sleep architecture.

The main detriment to health with not sleeping is how you function the next day. If you are falling asleep driving, not able to function at work/school etc, this is obviously detrimental to your physical health. If you are able to stop the lorazepam completely and continue to feel like a zombie the next day, then it is your sleep patterns that are affecting you.

There are other medications that can be used to treat insomnia that do not give you the morning hangover...(some will use trazodone or doxepin for example). Melatonin also works for some people.

I hope that you can get some good rest in the near future.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!