CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

& excema, migraine headaches & abit of rib cage

I am 62 yr old woman, fairly good health, no major problems; but have asthma & excema, migraine headaches & abit of arthritis. This tightness around my ribcage has been present before; but uncomfortable then subsided. For the past two days, it feels as if a tight bra and rope were around my ribcage. The pain is most intense under the sternum and about 2 hands in width.....going into the side and back. The skin feels very hot in that area and I feel very nauseous. I don't feel like eating, nor does any position or "bathroom" change the way I feel. The pain is constant. I took Pepto last night, thinking it may be indigestion; but no change. I think if I were having a heart attack, I would know it. My doctor is not in his office. How long should I wait or what other sign........should I determine before I try to get medical help?
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. Does taking a deep breath make it worse?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not really. I have my coughing spells; but non today......just this pain.

You may have something called costochondritis, which is an inflammation of the cartilage of the rib cage. It can be temporary ( a few weeks) or can be long lasting ( several months to years) and depending on the extent of the inflammation, can be quite painful. Costochondritis responds very well to anti-inflammatory medications (ibuprofen) and the use of ice packs (bags of frozen vegetables at 15 minute intervals are very helpful), and gentle stretching of the pectoralis muscles two to three times a day. Here is an article to read that will help you to compare your symptoms: I hope this informatiomn helps you, please let me know if I can help you further:-)