Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

I have pain in the lower leg, sharp pain below the knee when

Customer Question

I have pain in the lower leg, sharp pain below the knee when walking particularly uphill. At night the pain is an ache and soreness between theknee and lower in the leg which interupts sleep all the time. Siting at a desk the leg aches and has to be outstretched. I have had the problem for a year. Another symptom is loss of strength in the leg making it difficult at times to climb stairs.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to Just answer!

Do you see any swelling, redness, rashes or shiny skin? Have you been evaluated for it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No swelling or redness no shiny skin, have had an MRI but no sign of trapped nerve.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 6 years ago.

Based on your description, it looks like a muscle related pain, could be muscle spasm/cramps which is one of the common cause of calf pain. Cramps can occur in any skeletal muscle, but are most common in the legs and feet and muscles that cross two joints (the calf muscle, for example). Cramps can involve part of a muscle or all the muscles in a group. The most commonly affected muscle groups are: Back of lower leg, Back/front of thigh, Feet, hands, arms, abdomen.

The exact cause of muscle cramps is unknown, but many experts think it is related to poor flexibility, muscle fatigue or doing new activity. Other factors associated with muscle cramps include exercising in extreme heat, dehydration and electrolyte depletion.

Cramps usually go away on their own without treatment, but these tips will help speed the process: Stop the activity that cause the cramp, Gently stretch and massage the cramping muscle, Hold the joint in a stretched position until the cramp stops.
Based on your description, I don't see any alarming features at this time and you don't have any prior history of similar problems. I would think it related to muscle fatigue due to walking on floors for longer time. You can take pain meds, and follow instruction such as avoiding muscle fatigue, taking rest, stretch the calf muscle. I think you will get better with these conservative measures. If you don't then, next step would be to have blood test and see any electrolyte or mineral deficiency which might produce these symptoms. In the mean time the following measures can be helpful: Avoidance of excessive sugar intake and caffeine, take diet with plenty of potassium rich foods such as bananas is helpful .Regular mild stretching, Vitamin E, Calcium,riboflavin and Magnesium could be helpful. Press green button, so that I can be rewarded for my time with you. It does not cost you more than what you are suppose to pay. Follow up, if you have any other concern.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Pain is not in the calf it is in the front of the leg under the knee and is not cramp I have had this problem for nearly a year