CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

On March 12 2010 I had hernia surgery. An incision was made

On March 12 2010 I had hernia surgery. An incision was made to do the repair. I had the hernia for a number of years but was unaware of it until just a couple of months prior to the surgery. On May 4 2010 I was released by the surgeon without any restrictions. Beginning a couple of days ago I experience discomfort in the area of the incision and experience a burning sensation if I move my leg quickly or if I bend at the waist. When the surgery was done it was fairly extensive and took me about a month to really get over. I understand nerves were cut, etc. Is experiencing pain/discomfort at this time frame unusual?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. No this is not unusual... you can expect to experience varying degrees of discomfort over the next couple of months and tenderness that can extend over several months to a year. Restrict movement that causes discomfort which will decrease inflammation and help you to heal sooner. Ibuprofen according to package directions, if not contraindicated, will also help decrease inflammation. I would also recommend you have your surgeon look at it to make sure all is well. I hope this information helps you , please let me know if I can help you further:-)

Edited by CamilleRN on 6/1/2010 at 3:11 PM EST