Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have yellow liquid (no solid) diarrhea for 3 days now. I

I have yellow liquid (no solid) diarrhea for 3 days now. I tried eating some food the day it arrived but I ended up getting sulfur smelling burps and pain in my stomach. This disappeared after a while as I figure I was just too full and needed time to digest. The diarrhea persists. I dont know what to do.

This is a mild grade viral gastroenteritis (stomach flu). This subsides spontaneously in 4-5 days. Following would help you;

1) Gatorade

2) BRAT diet; banana, rice, applesauce, toast.

3) Soups, plenty of water, fresh fruit juices. Avoid bottled juices.

4) Avoid carbonated drinks.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
even though I havent had any vomiting? and do I have to worry about the lack of no solid stool?

In mild grade viral gastroenteritis; vomiting may be absent. The lack of solid stool is not worrisome as diarrhea would subside in next 1-2 days and stools would solidify, spontaneously. PeptoBismol can be taken, though. The mainstay of the treatment is prevention of dehydration. So adequate fluids, water, soups would be good enough to take care of it.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun