Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

I got a bite on my leg a two days ago. The center is very red

I got a bite on my leg a two days ago. The center is very red about the size of a kidney bean. It is raised with a lighter red color all around the kidney bean size area. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not, but my hips hurt. Should I be concerned or just use Benedryl?

Do you know what you were bitten by?
Is the bite painful or itchy?
Any fever?
Is the redness spreading?
Does it have a bullseye appearance to it?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I don't know what bit me. I woke up with it itching.

It does hurt, but it's not extremely painful. I don't think I have a fever. The redness is getting bigger. There isn't a black center, it is just very blood red, with a lighter ring of red around it.

Ok, thank you.

As long as you did not see a tick attached to your body in the area of the bite, Lyme is unlikely.

As for the redness, itching and pain--most likely it is a typical bite reaction that can be treated with benadryl, claritin or zyrtec for itching along with a cortisone cream applied to the area.

If you find that the redness continues to spread over the next 24 hours or if you develop increasing pain, fever or a pustule/whitehead then you have developed a skin infection that needs to be treated by your doctor.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!