Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

I just hit the top (towards the right of my head) against a

I just hit the top (towards the right of my head) against a hard tile towel rack in my bathroom before bed. It caused a bump, some bleeding, and I have a little dizziness. Should I go to bed (even though I'm tired) or stay awake for awhile? Should I go to a doctor tomorrow?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 3 years ago.

Greetings,

I shall try my best to explain the condition. Feeling of nausea , increasing headache , confusion, visual problems, weakness or convulsion, unequal pupils,slurred speech, stiffness of neck or fluid discharge from nose or ear are some of the symptoms which needs to be observed in case of trauma to head.The bump can be due to collection of blood outside the cranial or skull cavity. An examination by doctor is safer when you are feeling dizzy. In case of mild trauma you need to be observed for at least 24 hours. If you can not go to doctor now, you should have a person at hand, if you go to sleep. He or she can wake you up every 2-3 hours to ask simple questions to check your alertness.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.

Edited by Dr. SS on 6/1/2010 at 5:17 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your response.
So is some dizziness normal when you hit your head? I can't tell if it's dizziness from the bump or because I'm tired as well (like I said, I was just about to go to bed) I think the bleeding was from the impact because there was blood in my hair.
I live alone. Should I call a friend to have them call me and wake me up?
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 3 years ago.
If it is difficult to say whether dizziness is due to injury or from other cause without an examination. When you live alone, it is safer to get an examination. Calls from a friend will not be helpful. If one can come over & stay then it can be useful as he can push you to see your response & alertness.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.

Edited by Dr. SS on 6/1/2010 at 5:26 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What if I can't get a friend to come over? Should I just go to an ER now and get checked out?
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 3 years ago.
Though I understand it is inconvenient to go to ER for simple injury, but for safety concern, I would suggest it.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 25 years of clinical experience