Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

Im a 25 year old male and have some trouble relieving myself

Customer Question

I'm a 25 year old male and have some trouble relieving myself easily and completely when defecating. Doctors suggested fiber, diet, OTC solutions, but I don't think the problem is digestive. I'm convinced that it's due to tight sphincter muscles that make it difficult to completely relieve myself.

What can I do to loosen/relax my muscles permanently? One doctor did suggest surgery, but it's not that severe. Maybe there is a cause that has not been rooted out? I will admit that I do have mild anxiety and have read that it would help to just "relax". I'm not sure what else it could be or what I can do.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.

Sorry for your sufferings.

I will put my opinion regarding the issue.

For tight anal sphincter you can do kegel's exercise at home regularly.

Biofeedback can be tried from specialist physiotherapist which works well.

Diet rich in fibre, fruits, vegetables, regular walk, reduce stress etc. are also a part of management.

I hope this information helps.

Happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have practiced Kegel exercises before. This seems it would only serve to tighten my muscles. I want to loosen them to avoid straining.

How does biofeedback from a physiotherapist help someone with my situation?
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 6 years ago.

Sorry for your problem.

I shall try my best to explain the condition.
Biofeed back can help in relieving chronic constipation. Physiological studies like colonic transit time, defecography, manometry, EMG can be done to identify the problem. If there is colonic inertia or anismus, paradoxical muscle contraction in the pelvic floor then biofeedback can be helpful. Kegel's though used mainly for incontinence of bowel & bladder, in some cases of constipation it can coordinate the bowel movement. Please read this good resource on biofeedback.

You can also try simple digital stimulation of anal sphincter. This can be done by inserting lubricated finger inside the anus & make a circular motion around. This can help to stimulate the movement. If it does not then you can repeat it after 20 min. Try to pass stool everyday at the same time so that it becomes a habit. Most suitable time is about half an hour after food as food stimulates bowel movement.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My main concern is tighented anal sphincter muscles. Will any of this help loosen sphincter muscles?

Or is there any other solution?
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 6 years ago.
Tightened anal sphincter can occur from spasm as it occurs in fissure. You should get it examined by doctor to rule it out. In fissure ,nitroglycerin containing ointments are used to relieve the tight sphincter spasm. You can discuss this possibility with your doctor, if you are not willing to have surgery.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.

Edited by Dr. SS on 6/1/2010 at 5:57 AM EST
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 25 years of clinical experience