Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

Ive had a brown clear dischare sense having my period 1 to

I've had a brown clear dischare sense having my period 1 to 2 weeks ago. This scares me because I had a bad pap smear a year ago. It was treated with the leap. leap came back normal and so did my following pap smear. Does this mean that I have cancer. I'm two months late for my pap but I scheduled an appointment on Thursday. I'm pretty feaked out. I used a tampon to see how bad the bleading was. It had red on it. The abnormal pap that I had a year ago was carcinoma in sito high grade.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
NO, this does NOT mean you have cancer - this brown discharge could be from your period such as with retained or old blood. This could also be a vaginal infection such as bacterial vaginosis. I assumed you had a high grade PAP - that is usually the reason for having a LEEP - plus a LEEP is TREATMENT - so very UNLIKELY that the dysplasia would have returned so soon. Now, if you smoke - you need to stop as this can be causing bleeding too from possible dysplasia. Do NOT be concerned, it would be extremely UNLIKELY for you to have cancer at this point.