Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

It turns out I have an appendix stone. It was identified in

It turns out I have an appendix stone. It was identified in a CT scan when we were checking out something else. I have no symptoms and have probably had it for a while - should I do something about it (I.E. get an appendectomy) OR wait until if I began experiencing symptoms of appendicitus. I know the chances are higher for me because of the stones - I just don't know how high and if it warrants a precautionary procedure. I assume it's better than an appendix bursting!!!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just answer!

Appendicitis is an inflammation of appendix which can be caused by wide number of factors. One of them is blockage of appendix which could be due to food particle or appendix stone. Manytimes, appendix stones are found after appendix removal. Appendix is usually removed whenever there is an inflammation, irrespective of the cause. In your case, you don't have any sign or symptoms of appendicitis. Your finding was on CT scan, but presence of appendix stone does not warrant urgent appendix removal, though chances are higher that you will develop appendicitis in near future. You have choice to get elective appendix removal or just stone removal. If stone is removed, this will decrease the possibilities of stone causing appendicitis. Press green button, so that I can be rewarded for my time with you. It does not cost you more than what you are suppose to pay. Follow up, if you have any other concern.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
You can read more about it from click here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your answer but I'm still unsure of what I should do. What would you do? Get the appendix out now or wait until I develop appendicitus - which may never happen I assume. Am I 30% likely to get appendicitus? 50%?, 90%?
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
As stated before, the risk of developing appendicitis is high when you have appendix stones. Appendix stone is also a frequent finding after appendix removal. The risk of developing appendicitis in near future range from 30-60%. The usual recommendation is to get rid of stones. If you choose surgery, then it's better to get rid of appendix than just stone. If you choose to observe, then familiarize yourself with sign and symptoms of appendicitis, so that you can seek medical attention whenever you suspect appendicitis. If I had to choose among these two, I would go for observation and get appendix out whenever I experience appendicitis or have to go for abdominal surgery for other reason.
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.