Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I am a 29 year old ftm transsexual and have been on testosterone

I am a 29 year old ftm transsexual and have been on testosterone therapy since Oct 2006. In late June 2008 I started getting some very strange symptoms; mood swings, a regrowth of breast tissue, painful spasms of the womb (ceased May 2009 after hysterectomy) hot flushes, burning red ears and feeling essentially 'female' for half the day and then 'male' for the other half of the day. My voice changes from high to low during this cycle. I used to feel the same 'female' cycle for the first 24 hours of a menstrual cycle but this went away when my periods stopped. This feeling is now a daily occurence. Although I have seen an endocrinologist he does not believe my symptoms are hormonal as all my bloods are normal, except my thyroid function was borderline hypo in July 2008. Since then it has been normal although ENT specialist has confirmed my thyroid is swollen on the left. I experience a sharp stabbing pain in this area too. Exercise makes symptoms worse.

Hello and thanks for the question. I will be happy to help you today. I would suggest a couple of things. I would have the thyroid retested (this can account for the menstrual abnormalities) and then also have them check your estrogen, FSH, LH, progesterone, and testosterone levels (I suggest these because you did not say which ones were tested and when). All of these should be checked since you are taking the testosterone to make sure not only the other levels are normal, but that your testosterone is where it should be also. They need to be recent levels also (last month or so).

It has been a pleasure helping you today. Please click "Accept" if our conversation has been helpful. If I can help you further, please reply. If not, thank you for using and hope you will use the service again soon.