Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

diagonosed 10 years ago by three psychiatrist

Customer Question

I was diagonosed 10 years ago by three psychiatrist with multiple personality disorder. I am 48 and still struggle with daily life . I have 2 jobs but i am disorganized have trouble remembering to turn in completed tasks. Have high anxiety could i be autistic.Also would add I have no friends no social skills oftentimes embarrass wife and children
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health.

I have read your statement and I understand how difficult it must be. I see that you have tried several medications.

You report social skills as a problem. There is a condition that has been called a "high functioning" type of autism, called Asperger's syndrome. It will actually be taken out of the classification system with the next update, and all autism will be grouped together under "autism spectrum disorder", but the term Asperger's is useful for discussion when people seem to fit into a category of higher intelligence with social skill problems. Here is a discussion of this problem:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/autism_spectrum.htm

In fact people with Aspergers can learn social skills and overcome much of the difficulties that these effects cause in their lives. For example, that you are even aware that you have a problem in this area bodes well that you would likely benefit from instruction in this area.

The web site for which I provided a link above is a not for profit web site and also has a free course on "emotional intelligence" which basically assist one to interact more appropriately with others. Lack of social skills at the core is due to an inability to identify one's own emotional responses, and other's emotional responses and feelings associated with certain actions. Learning 'cues' can help one to 'understand' emotions and to improve one's interactions with others. If you are motivated to do so, you could benefit greatly from taking this course. Here is the link to this free program:

http://www.emotionalintelligencecentral.org/

On this same web site you can find discussion of Asperger's, as well as Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD). MPD is no longer called "MPD" but is now classified as "Dissociative Identity Disorder" and is known to occur due to psychological trauma during a stage in childhood before an individual identity has developed. Current treatment for this is discussed under psychological trauma as well as under post-traumatic stress disorder treatment:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/emotional_psychological_trauma.htm

I wasn't exactly sure of what you were asking, but I think the above information will help you. If you do have other questions in regard to this issue please respond to this post and I will assist you further.