Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

what does a chill and no fever mean

what does a chill and no fever mean?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health.

Chilling occurs as the fever begins to go up. It probably just has not gone up yet.

Do you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well we were out all day today in the cold and he suddenly said he felt really cold and started shivering. He has a bit of a soar throat. But I keep checking his fever and it is normal. Is there anything we can do to prevent it from getting worse?
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 4 years ago.

What is his temperature? How cold is it where you are? Was he in the wind and cold water for a long time? I am wondering if he has hypothermia.

If he became hypothermic, and his core body temperature dropped extremely low, or low for people, then he may still be warming up. Is this a possibility? If so, he should be in dry clothing. Sipping on warm fluid slowly will help too.

Or, does he have a severe sun burn?

Edited by Susan Ivy on 5/2/2010 at 4:01 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was about 53 out today and a bit windy. We walked around a zoo. He was fine before and fine after, but it was about an hour after that he said he felt really cold and started shivering. His temperature is like 98.3 totally normal. He does say he feels hazy in his eyes. He said it felt like he was drunk, but he doesn't drink. What could that mean?
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 4 years ago.

It can mean that he is hypothermic. The temperature has likely already started to go up, and it doesn't take it to be very low at all for some symptoms to occur. Is he drinking fluids? He could get dehydrated and this can cause symptoms too.

There is still the possibility that he is coming down with a virus, but it sounds very likely that he had a touch of hypothermia. It is important the he does not drink any alcohol (per first aid directions, not that he was planning on it!) Keep him warm, sipping warm tea or other fluid, and he will continue to feel better. If this ends up being a fever that has not registered on the thermometer yet (it is hard to get an accurate temperature reading, - rectal temperatures are the most accurate, and remember depending on the type of thermometer you have it needs to stay in place for quite a long time.

You can read more details about hypothermia here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-hypothermia/FA00017

He should be okay, but of course if he continues to feel 'drunk' and this does not improve, then he would need to go to ER, because it could mean something unusual is occurring. Remember, likely his is not extremely severe, unless his toes or fingers are actually frozen, which does not sound likely.

Le me know if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you can get hypothermia from being out for an hour and an half in 55 degree weather? He didn't feel cold at all while we were walking around the zoo. His chill really seemed to come on out of no where. He says his eyes feel hot. Are these all causes of hypothermia. It sounds more like flu symptoms to me. Is there anything we can do to stop it form getting worse, or stop a fever from coming? Thanks! sorry for all the questions
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 4 years ago.

I'm going by what you have told me. It is possible to get hypothermia is the wind was blowing and he was wet.

It is also very possible that he is coming down with the flu (the flu is a virus).

You have said he feels drunk, his eyes are blurry, and now they feel hot. Feeling drunk with blurry eyes could be from hypothermia, or from the immune response - in other words, his body's reaction to the flu. Eyes feeling 'hot' sounds more like perhaps his temperature is starting to rise but it is hard to tell.

The main thing is not to panic. When he feels cold, keep blankets on. If he starts to feel hot then take the blankets off. Drinking plenty of fluids will help his kidney function without stress and help his immune system fight off the infection. Non sugary fruit juices or real fruit may be helpful, if this is virus related (won't hurt if not).

As I stated earlier, he can take Ibuprofen or tylenol to settle the chills down. Some chilling is okay, that is how the body mobilizes it's defense system. It is a normal response and does not have to be stopped, but if he would feel better he could take tylenol or ibuprofen. Rest is important and he will get better quicker if he rests, drinks plenty of fluids, and is not stressed out.

If he does end up having flu symptoms, you can see a doctor and sometimes tamiflu can be given, but this is not always prescribed, as it is sometimes better to let the immune system do its job by itself.

Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS