Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

The inside of my lips are so dry that they feel like they are

The inside of my lips are so dry that they feel like they are sticking to my teeth. They also are swollen on the inside and my tonge is sore. They are bright red (the inside of my lips) it also hurts to eat anything salty or spicy. I drink water all day long so i know that could not be it. I also take vitamins and am otherwise healthy. I have dry eye syndrome. I am on ambien and drops for my dry eye. I also take 20mg. of celebrex daily. My lips feel as if they have little cuts on them but dont. I also use carmax and vitamin E capsules broken up on my lips. thank you in advance!
julie mcconnell
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

The first thing is that you need to see a rheumatologist to see if this is related to your dry eyes with a condition called Sjogren syndrome...leads to dry eyes and mouth. Artificial saliva will help with the sensation of dry mouth and make your mouth feel more comfortable.

Unfortunately this is not actually a problem with fluid intake, but more to do with saliva production. It will also put your teeth at increased risk of decay so you need to see a dentist.

The swollen sore tongue may possibly be a vitamin B12 deficiency so ask your doctor to check your vitamin B12 levels just to be on the safe side.