Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

I am a 40 yr old female. For the last few wks Ive had a metal

I am a 40 yr old female. For the last few wks I've had a metal taste on the right side of my mouth. Sometimes my mouth is very dry, also it seems as if food does not taste the same. It's not that I don't taste anything, I do, however I don't taste the full flavor. I don't smoke & there is no chance of pregnancy. I practice good dental hygeine, I get my teeth cleaned at the dentist every 3 months. I floss and brush well twice a day. On the right side of my mouth I do have 2 crowns (one upper, one lower). I have no other symptoms except some nausea lately in the evening, but I didn't think that was related. As far as medications, I take Synthroid daily. Right now I am on a 30-day regimen of Canasa (suppository) as I was recently diagnosed with proctitis. Can you tell me what could by causing these oral symptoms? If I see a dr, should I start with my dentist or a specialist? Could the metal taste/dry mouth/loss of taste on their be a sign of oral cancer?
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

One of the most common reasons for metal taste in the mouth is Acid Reflux. Some people who experience acid reflux complain of heartburn/indigestion but these symptoms are not always present.

Metal taste in the mouth is not a sign of oral cancer so you dont have to worry about that.

I would suggest that you take an over-the-counter acid blocker such as Prilosec (or generic Omeprazole - cheaper). You can take 1 tablet in the morning before breakfast and 1 tablet before dinner. You should notice a difference within a couple of days.

If symptoms persist, you can start with seeing your dentist to check the crowns.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If I have answered your question, please click the green "Accept" button. Otherwise your deposit stays with JustAnswer and I do not get credit for my work.

Best wishes,