Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

The middle finger of my right hand is swollen, achey and I

The middle finger of my right hand is swollen, achey and I can't straighten it out. I didn't hit it on anything, and Tylenol is not stopping the pain.

Last week the index finger and middle finger of my left hand hurt. This problem has been going on, off and on for about 2 months, but the pain yesterday and today is really terrible. Please advise.
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Could you please tell me if you have any associated redness on your middle finger? Does it feel warm? Did you wake up with this pain or did it start in the mid-day?

Thanks,

Julia

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is not red and it doesn't feel any warmer than my other fingers. I did wake up with the pain and it persisted all day and night. Tonight is the second night with the pain in this finger.

Thank you for your reply.

There are a couple of possibilities for your symptoms. One of the possibilities is that you have gout attacks. Gout is a type of arthritis which affects individual joints. Gout is known to affect a joint on a big toe but in reality, it can affect any joint. Usually, pain is severe with swelling and sometimes redness.

Treatment for gout is actually anti-inflammatories, such as Aleve or Advil, rather then Tylenol. Also ice would help.

Another possibility is rheumatoid arthritis which often presents itself with pain and swelling in different joints. This is less likely.

I would suggest that you take Advil or Aleve today but follow-up with your doctor for further evaluation and testing. You can have uric acid levels checked to look for gout and rheumatoid markers checked to rule out rheumatoid arthritis. I would also suggest that you get an x-ray of your fingers/hand.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If I have answered your question, please click the green "Accept" button. Otherwise your deposit stays with JustAnswer and I do not get credit for my work.

Best wishes,

Julia

Do you have any other questions I can answer for you? Anything I can clarify?

Julia

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there a way to reduce uric acid levels immediately? How long should I expect to be in pain?

Uric acid cannot be lowered immediately. There is a prescription medication which needs to be taken daily to lower uric acid levels (it is called Allopurinol). However, reducing uric acid levels is not necessary to treat an acute gout attack. The goal in treating acute gout attack is decreasing inflammation and swelling. For that, Ibuprofen (Advil) works great - each Advil pill 200 mg. You need to take 3 of them at a time, three times per day (always with food). Pain usually subsides within 24 hours. Tylenol is not an anti-inflammatory medication so it is not recommended in treating gout or any other acute arthritic conditions. Your doctor should check your uric acid levels (blood test) prior to giving you anything to reduce those levels.

Hope this helps more. Please feel free to ask any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please click the green 'Accept' button.

Julia

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I take lisinopril and I was under the impression that I was not supposed to take Ibuprofen which is what I thought Advil and Aleve are.

Lisinopril and Ibuprofen have no interactions and can safely be taken together.

Ibuprofen should be avoided if you have history of ulcers in your stomach but otherwise it is completely safe to use for 1-2 days. You do need to take it with food though (to avoid stomach irritation).

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss