Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

my daughter has the hiccups and has had them for the past 4 to 5 hours

my daughter has the hiccups and has had them for the past 4 to 5 hours. she has held her breath and also did the paper sack what could she do to stop?
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Could you please tell me how old your daughter is? Are her hiccups very painful?

Thanks,

Julia

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She is 28 and yes very painful
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She is 28 and yes very painful

Thank you for your reply.

What always helps me with hiccups and what is recommended for treatment is to eat a teaspoon or two of granulated sugar.

If that doesn't help, she can try breathing into a paper bag.

These home remedies (plus holding breath and drinking water which she already tried) are the only home remedies which can be tried. If hiccups continue despite all of the trials, your daughter might need to see a doctor. Sometimes a medication can be prescribed which will improve severe hiccups (medication is called Chlorpromazine.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If I have answered your question, please click the green "Accept" button. Otherwise your deposit stays with JustAnswer and I do not get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia