Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

I took 40mg of vesicare instead of 20 mg of predizone. I picked

Customer Question

I took 40mg of vesicare instead of 20 mg of predizone. I picked up the wrong bottle. I got the bottles confused. Do I have a problem? What should I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health for your question.

The recommended dose of Vesicare is 5mg to 10 mg daily. You have taken at least 4 times the recommended daily dosage.

Certain antidepressants and heart medications interact with Vesicare.

In those with renal or hepatic (kidney or liver) compromise, even smaller doses are recommended. (this may not apply to you).

It a person has glaucoma it can increase the tension in the eyes.

Too much Vesicare can result in severe constipation, stomach pain, and it is possible that you could stop urinating. (If this were to happen, you might need a foley catheter put in).

I would recommend that you first call the poison hotline. If you are in the US you can call 1(NNN) NNN-NNNN For the dose that you took they will tell you if you should wait to see if any side effects develop, or whether you should go to the ER.

IF you just went to the ER, they would call this number to find out what to do for you, so if you would rather go straight to the ER if you like, but it is possible that you will not need ER treatment, so this might save you a visit. Please do not hesitate to call though.

If you go to ER, please have someone drive you in case you have visual changes.

If you have questions please reply to this post so that I can assist you further.

Edited by Susan Ivy on 5/2/2010 at 12:11 AM EST