Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have had unilateral swelling in my left calf for 3 years.

I have had unilateral swelling in my left calf for 3 years. I have gotten vein doppler and mri of my ankle with no reason for this swelling. My skin is hard and can feel difference with my right calf. I am very active and have been using compression hose while standing on feet all day being a teacher. The skin does have blotchy marks you are able to see.

Greetings.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for so long.

A lymphangiography is the next step of the investigations if the MRI and colored doppler study for the veins are normal. Your GP / primary care physician can get this done. The lymphatic blockage can cause this swelling. The primary lymphedema needs surgical treatment.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Edited by Dr. Arun Phophalia on 5/2/2010 at 6:20 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was wondering if a MRI was done on my calf and foot if they would be able to see my tendon that goes from calf to toes. I just don't understand why my left calf is so much larger than my right. I broke my 5th metatarsal 25 years ago (twice in 6 months) so it was always smaller due to atrophy. Now it is just swollen with no definition at all.

I agree, that MRI can be done to look for some causes like lipoma or lipofibroma which can give localized swelling. If the swelling of calf is generalized. lymphangiography would be more informative. A tendon of soft tissue hypertrophy on one side is very unusual phenomenon to cause swelling. This would be associated with calf weakness.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun