A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

OK. I have had a very small inclusion cyst develop on my lower

OK. I have had a very small inclusion cyst develop on my lower left eyelid for 8 (!) years. It's been noticable for the last 3 (about 2-3 mm). I've gone to two opthamologists and they both said the same thing: If it doesn't hurt, don't do anything. If it bothers you, you can have it excised. So, I finally set up an appt. to have it excised in 2 weeks as I've noticed people over the past year occasionally looking at it.

This morning, I noticed something strange...almost like it had come to a small head. As I stretched the eyelid, a thick yellow substance came out (keratin, I presume). I was extremely careful to try to get as much out as possible by stretching (not squeezing) it.
It wasn't painful. Now, it appears like it's gone, save for perhaps what might be a very small bit of keratin inside the cyst (a small clear liquid pinpoint drop was all I could get out after the yellow keratin came out). I applied hydrogen peroxide carefully to the opening (with a Q-Tip) to prevent infection AFTER I had applied warm compresses to the area.

So, what additional treatment should I be doing and should I really see the doctor, given that it doesn't appear as big (even though that wall is likely in there, meaning it could build up with keratin again). Thank you!

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Warm compresses is the way to go. You can skip any further hydrogen peroxide since it actually can interfere with healing. If it was an inclusion cyst, the wall will still be there and it may fill again. You should call your doctor and explain what has happened and see if they want to go ahead with the surgery to removed the cyst wall, or if they are willing to wait with you and see if everything heals on its own. You may be able to skip the surgery for another two or three years (or not). Only time will tell.