Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

why would blood serotonin levels be elevated then dropto normal

why would blood serotonin levels be elevated then dropto normal? Can elevated blood serotonin levels cause physical or mental symptoms?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer for your question.

Could you explain about what test you are speaking of? Seretonin is a neurotransmitter in the brain and is not measured by laboratory tests.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The Endocrinologist did blood work as I have been in a terrible Menopause since my total Hysterectomy 4 yrs ago I have persistant anxiety Ativan barely helps severe nite sweats hypotension and drops when I stand don,t feel like myself shakey dizziness easily sob excersise can worsen symptoms since Hyster have not been the same have bad reactions To Anti depressants, don,t tolerate HRT well. Fatique easily,wake up from naps anxious, just not the same person
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

I am glad to know that you are seeing an endocrinologist so that any imbalances with your thyroid or hormones are evaluated.

Very often when individuals have a 'bad reaction' to antidepressants and have one or more of these symptoms: increased anxiety, insomnia, irritability, or hypomania, it can indicate that a mood stabilizer would be a better choice. Medications originally developed for seizure disorder such as Lamictal (should be prescribed by clinician aware of side effects - generally must be started at lower doses and more gradually than for those with a seizure disorder) divalproex, carbamazepine are first line medications from this issue.

If the endocrine issues have been ruled out or are being treated and you still have the symptoms you describe, then you should speak with your family physician or even see a Psychiatrist for treatment.

If you have questions please respond to this post so that I may assist you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was put on Zyprexa, and tegretol to help with the anxiety and felt horrid on them I don,t get irritable ,hypomania, or insomnia on them most do calm down the anxiety ,I,ve seen 2 Physchiatrist and Bi Polar is not an issue if thats what your thinking believe me thats my worse fear and have taken every test there is and it does not point to that. I had none of these symptoms before yhe Hysterectomy was able to take Elavil at one point for GI problems and had no problem with it before the Hyster, when this started took Lexapro and had no problems stopped it because I was feeling fine then tried to go on 3 times with bad sideeffects. Both Physchiatrist said I respond like I,m Bi Polar but I,m not they said sensitivites to ssri,s.My labs are showing Estrogen undetectable, FSH 89, and LH 49, The main issue is the anxiety and severe sweats.At nite time most of these symptoms calm down and I sleep well except for the nite sweats. I,m kind of upset that your thinhing Bi Polar since I had none of this till my total Hyster. If your not thinking that I do apoligize. One question how could someone have the anxiety and sweats and shakes for all this time and be considered Bi Polar? With no other symptoms of it.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 4 years ago.
There is frequent misunderstanding of mood disorders. Some only become apparent at or after menopause. Just like the endocrine disorders, the neurotransmitters that effect the moods can become depleted and at any time in life, but more commonly in the elderly or earlier in those that have been exposed to high levels of physical or mental stress.

There are many degrees and classifications of bipolar illness, from the typical type that people know of; periods of mania alternating with depression, to mild types where anxiety may be the main symptom, and sometimes the milder forms are refered to as "soft" bipolar.

From what you have said that has already been tried, a choice would be to either try a mood stabilizer without an anti-psychotic (since that did not work for you when you tried it), or to try a different SSRI, such as Zoloft, since you say that at one time Lexapro worked for you but take a low dose of lamictal or other mood stabilizer along with it. . Lamictal works well for soft bipolar often, but has to be started at a low dose and titrated up very slowly to prevent the side effect of a rash. When this is done that side effect does not occur. Many people like Lamictal, because unlike most other mood stabilizers and anti-depressants, it does not have sexual side-effects, nor does it cause weight gain.

But if you are are not satisfied with my answer, that is perfectly ok, just let me know, and then I will opt out, and that will give another expert the chance to respond to you.
I do wish you the best and hope you find something that works for you soon.

Edited by Susan Ivy on 5/2/2010 at 7:59 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what are the symptoms of soft bi polar and why would the anxiety stay for 3 years wouldn,t I have moments or days with no anxiety at all? If you go to Power Surge .com and read the posts there are many women in my situation.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what are the symptoms of soft bi polar and why would the anxiety stay for 3 years wouldn,t I have moments or days with no anxiety at all? If you go to Power Surge .com and read the posts there are many women in my situation.Are you talking about Cyclothymia I was ruled out for that.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 4 years ago.
No you would not necessarily have moments without any symptoms at all. Anxiety is a symptoms of soft bipolar.

Even if what you have is purely an anxiety disorder, if your anxiety has not responded to the usual treatments, then mood stabilizers are another option worth trying.

Edited by Susan Ivy on 5/2/2010 at 8:22 PM EST
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS