Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

For Dr. Abby What advise can you give me to achieve a

For Dr. Abby:

What advise can you give me to achieve a balanced blood chemistry through nutrition? I am specifically inquiring for a focused answer on balance blood chemistry.
Currently, I lead a very healthy lifestyle: non-smoker; glass of merlot/cabernet wine approximately 3 times weekly; 8 hours nightly sleep; consumes glasses of water very regularly each day; 6 days of 45-minute exercise (15% cardio and 85% strengthening); I am 40+ years; Annual doctor check ups are regular. I am blood type O positive and I have a tendency toward high cholesterol and an A1C of 6.0 to 6.2. What vitamins and minerals do you suggest I take to ensure a balanced blood chemistry for healthy levels of cholesterol and A1C?

Optional Information:
Gender: Female
Age: 40+

Already Tried:
Takes daily vitamins and minerals.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Do you have a famiy history of high cholesterol/diabetes?
Any history of abnormal liver tests?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dr Abby:
I do not have a family history of diabetees; however, there has been heart disease on my paternal side.
What is confusing is that my diet consists of lean meats, brown rice, vegetables, dark green salads, water, soymilk, and a daily intake of fruit. Additionally, I exercised 6 times per week and I have an excellent 8-hour sleep schedule.
What is wrong with the chemistry of my blood? My A1C just arrived at the high end of the spectrum about a year ago. Your professional advice would be most helpful! Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like you are doing everything correctly.
If you are not overweight and are eating a healthy diet, it is likely a genetic issue (especially the cholesterol), not a deficiency of a vitamin or mineral.

There are things that you can do aside from diet and exercise to help with prevention of the onset of diabetes. Metformin is one medication your doctor may elect to try. Vitamins/minerals are unlikely to make any difference for you with regards XXXXX XXXXX prevention of the onset of diabetes.

Elevated cholesterol also, as mentioned above, has a strong genetic component. Depending on your cholesterol profile, you may need to take prescription medications. Some people elect to use herbal medications containing red yeast rice. These work similarly to the statin type prescription cholesterol medications, have no FDA regulation and the same potential for side effects (muscle aches).

I am happy to opt out of the question if you would like an alternative medicine physician to possibly answer this question for you as well. You may be looking for an answer that I am not able to provide for you.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Dr Abby

Edited by Dr. Abby on 5/2/2010 at 2:03 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dr Abby:
I am actually pleased with your professional advice. I do have a final question.
I am not one to take pharmecueticals, as I prefer herbal medications as a more natural alternative. Hence, is there a herbal medication that you can recommend for onset diabetees?
My physician has elected another blood test to monitor my cholesterol; she has also elected not to administer medication for onset diabetees at this time because of my numbers' position on the A1C continuum.
I am on my way to church, so there might be some delay in my final "accept". Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
I am glad that you are pleased.

There is not currently an herbal medication that I personally can recommend that you use to help with elevated blood sugars. There isn't enough data out there to show that any herbal "remedies" are effective.

Here is a bit of information from WebMD regarding some of the supplements/herbals out there. Again, it is not something I personally believe will make a difference. However, I am not an alternative medicine physician and am not well schooled in this aspect of medicine.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/guide/alternative-medicine

Let me know if you have any other questions. I hope you are enjoying your Sunday and God bless.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Abby,

Thank you for taking the time with me today. I do appreciate your sensible and balanced professional advice and your blessings from God.

I found the WebMD link to be mildly helpful, but I do intend to broaden my knowledge on alternative medication. By the way, my BMI is average for my height. I am fortunately not overweight in the least.

Godspeed and thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
You are welcome.

I believe that your elevated A1C is likely a genetic predisposition then. I do not feel it likely to be related to your diet or a missing vitamin or mineral. It never hurts to broaden one's knowledge. Alternative medicine is such a growing field.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Dr Abby