Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

taking birth control..I became pregnant immediately and found

Customer Question

I am 23 years old. I stopped taking birth control at the end of my cycle in late July to ttc. I became pregnant immediately and found out that I was pregnant Aug. 31st. However, I had a dental procedure mid August before i knew I was pregnant and took large amounts of a pregnancy category X drug. (I had taken a pregnancy test right before the procedure and it came up neg. so I didn't think i was preg.) I took the early abortion pill a few weeks after in september. My fiancee and I were extremely saddened by the abortion and decided to ttc again. I waited 6 months to ttc to be extra safe my body was ready. I kept track of my periods and they were very regular (31days). However the month we began trying (march)my period came ten days late. I was not pregnant and had even taken a blood test at the doctors to be sure. We're ttc this month but im worried about why i was so irregular last month and didn't concieve.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

Becoming pregnant takes time, patience and planning. The first thing to be aware of is that some couples can take up to a year to conceive so do not worry if it seems to take a long time.

The time to have intercourse is around the ovulation (egg release) phase. This occurs for most women about day 14 of their cycle. Day one is considered to be the first day of the period.

So having intercourse regularly for about 5 days around this date increases the chance of pregnancy. Also using a thermometer or ovulation kit can more closely map when you are fertile.

Do ensure that you are close to your ideal weight, i.e. not overweight or underweight and start taking 400microgram of folic acid daily as this is an important vitamin for development of the embryo.

Getting stressed about ttc, can in itself lead to periods becoming erratic. So although you do need to track your periods, I would suggest that you continue having intercourse when you like, have fun - do not make it a chore, and try to forget about the underlying plan. Having a more relaxed approach should result in pregnancy at some point in the next few months. If your periods were to continue to be irregular then some tests can be done then but this is not needed just yet.