Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

I have not had a period for 4months now. I am not pregant &

Customer Question

I have not had a period for 4months now. I am not pregant & think it is due to stress. I get bad pains in my stomach & feel like my period is going to come but noyhing happens,i ave been to see my doctor who says he is not to worried at the moment & apparently its normal for periods to be delayed due to stress & other events.. He said if after 6months i dont have one he will investigate it further... I feel that this is too long & am worried if it stops me from having children in the future.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

If pregnancy has been ruled out; there are a number of other reasons for missed period.

These include hormone imbalance, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, thyroid problems, stress, being underweight, or being excessively overweight, losing weight very quickly or exercising excessively.

In order to get an answer re hormone and thyroid you will need to request blood tests for these from your family doctor. The lifestyle factors can be looked at and changes made at home/work to reduce stress etc.

Your doctor will also want to hear about any other symptoms such as unwanted hair, mood swings, thinning hair, tiredness etc.

Some of these tests can be done with simple blood tests, so you may have had them already however if there is a specific history of stress then time will allow your cycles to return to normal. I would not get too worried about future pregnancies just yet. At you age you still have time on your side.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Is there something specific that you want to know?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.