Dr.Tiwari
Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Experience:  M.D.
8775652

one year ago I had titanium rods and screws placed in my spine

one year ago I had titanium rods and screws placed in my spine from my sacrum to my shoulderblades. During the surgery I felt as if I was being roasted over a fire. I developed severe urticaria with angioedema which continues to date. I am taking six different medications without relief. Could this be a reaction to the metal in my back. I should also inform you that I had a medtronic pump for 9 years prior to the surgery without incident.
Did you operated for deformity like kyphosis or scoliosis?If yes then is it one of the severe grade?
Please reply.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I had 3 herniated discs, narrowing of the spinal cord with numbness and tingling in the extremities bilaterally and some minor lordosis

Sorry to trouble you again but i do want to confirm it-

Did this angioedema appears just after surgery or as a delayed reaction after months?
Please reply.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

immediatly after the surgery

Thanks for information.

The presence of angioedema & urticaria just after operation can be there due to implant or metal allergy for which you should get tested by patch test & should confirm this diagnosis .

This may also be there if there is severe narrowing of the spinal cord or stretching of the part of the nervous system which is not our control (sympathetic & parasympathetic nervous system).This can be diagnosed by a neurologist with good clinical examination & in that you may also be suffered from clinical disorders of loss of control over blood pressure & urine.

Hope this will help you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you are satisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Other posts to the melisa site advocate blood tests vs patch tests to determine alergy to rods, do you concur and where can this testing be done?
The patch test is only safe ,scientific & reliable method through which an allergic reaction can be read out easily-

http://www.springerlink.com/content/3275mvg670277743/

Hope this will help you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------