Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

Would low blood glucose cause me to read very high on an alcohol

Would low blood glucose cause me to read very high on an alcohol breath test? I had had one pint of shandy several hours before and the test showed that I had 72mg of alcohol in my breath.

At the roadside I was normal apart from very low blood glucose 3.2mmol

I had NOT been drinking other than that and can not understand it.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for writing to JustAnswer Health with your concern.

A very high blood glucose can cause an inaccurately high reading on an alcohol breath test, not a low blood glucose.

If you had little in your stomach when you drank the alcohol that will lead to a higher alcohol level sometimes, rather than if you had had it with a full meal.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Susan

About an hour before I was tested I had really bad hiccps and drank a shot of vinegar to see if that would help. It just made me very sick!

I can't understand any reason for the high reading, the equivilent of 1/2 pint of beer should not do that. I weigh 9 stone and had been awake for 20 hours at that point.

Any pointers would be very helpful..

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.

This article is factual about breathalysers, and may help you to understand your reading.

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Breathalyzer

From what I have read, the modern Breathalyzer's should not be fooled by vinegar, but the older models could give a misreading related to vinegar. So to determine if this had anything to do with your reading would take research into the type of breathalyser that was used, and such - you would probably need an attorney if you were going to try to check out this type of information to build a case.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Susan

Thanks for the advice, I will get an attorney sorted ASAP. Its a hard one but I know I'm not guilty, I just have to find a way to prove it :-0

Many thanks