Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

1. As you review documentation, you note that the reference

1. As you review documentation, you note that the reference is made to a new growth of cells that appear irregular. However, the growth is referred to as hyperplasia. Does anything about this documentation seem abnormal to you?
a. No, the documentation seems to be correct.
b. Yes, a new growth of abnormal cells is neoplasia, not hyperlasia
c. Yes, a new growth of abnormal cells always indiacates a malignant tumor, and the documentation should include that information
d. Yes, a new growth of abnormal cells always indicates a benign tumor, and the documentation should include that information.
2. A patient's medical record indicates obseity. Obseity is an example of
a. an indiopathic abnormality
b. metabolic condition
c. malnutrition
d. a metabolic disease
3. How are cells with abnormal metabolism different from neoplasia
a. Cells with abnormal metabolism don't grow
b. Cells with neoplasia grow in unusual ways
c. Cells with abnormal metabolism are abnormal but reproduces normally
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.
Hello again! It is that time of year again, we are getting lost of test questions and school projects. I am glad to help, but hope you still are learning and understanding, therefore I give you the reason for my answers!

1. An abnormal growth of regular or normal cells is the definition of hyperplasia. A new growth of irregular cells so the correct answer is: b. Yes, a new growth of abnormal cells is neoplasia, not hyperplasia.

2. There are multifactoral causes of obesity. So I would pick: a. idiopathic abnormality.

3. C. Cells with abnormal metabolism are abnormal but reproduce normally (neoplasia reproduce at an abnormally fast rate. Many cancerous cells do have abnormal metabolism, but all cells with abnormal metabolism are not cancerous.)

3.