CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

slight ringing sensation in my right ear..my left ear

In February i realized i have a slight ringing sensation in my right ear. I got examined by a doctor and have been told its some kind of early tinnitus the reason of which is not easy to diagnose and that i would have to learn to live with it. It has not even been 2 months after that and the tinnitus doubled itsself in volume and my left ear joined the "party". Im feeling a slight fullness in my right ear and i hear crackling noises in both ears whenever i gulp. Occasionally my gulping "opens up" my ear eliminating/lessening the feeling of fullness, yet it "fills" back up. My ears get randomly wet inside (which i can tell after picking my ear with my finger).

Could that wetness and crackling be something to start with for a doctor to diagnose the origin of my tinnitus? Does the whole thing sound like a known combination/case? One that could lead to total loss of hearing? If so is there anything that can be done to stop this from progressing? Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today.Ringing in the ears , crackling and popping are symptoms of congestion in the ear...which could be due to wax, an infection or unequal pressure. If not contraindicated, take an over the counter decongestant, per package directions, this should help you. Something else worth noting.. different supplements and aspirin can cause ringing in the ears...are you taking anything new over the past 6 months or so?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no i am not taking any medication for anything at the moment. Would a specialist be able to diagnose an infection with his scope thing? The doctor i went to saw into my ears and told me its clean and theres nothing to be seen (which i take means there is no sign of an infection). Would this kind of an examination quickly eliminate the possibility for an infection? I would feel so much better if it was an infection since i believe it can be cured whereas "tinnitus" is a condition that remains for a lifetime as far as i'm convinced from what i've read in the web or heard from people i've talked to. And the other possibilities you mentioned... wax... or unequal pressure... can these be diagnosed and cured? And all in all, can such a tinnitus lead to total loss of hearing?
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.

Things that can cause tinnitis are exposure to very loud noise... like standing in front of an apm for band practice every night...or sitting in the front section for multiple rock concerts.. or operaing LOUD machinery... toxic levels of vitamins, aspirin etc...

It is VERY unlikely that this is permanant in your case. It began abruptly, which is suggestive of inflammation, probably due to water in the ear.. ( shower) of infection (?)

Tinnitis does no tlead to hearing loss, but can be a symptom of hearing loss. I really think you should go to an Ear, Nose Throat Doctor who will use a scope with a light and look into your ears , he will also be able to easily and painless remove wax ( which I bet it is) and provide antibiotics if needed. Try not to worry.... I honestly think you have a completely curable situation.

Edited by CamilleRN on 5/1/2010 at 4:17 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
From all the research i made i got the impression that tinnitus can develop because of several reasons (i.e. a tumor in the brain). I have been to an ear nose throat specialist and he examined my ear with the tool you described after which he told me theres nothing to be seen. Thats the doctor i mentioned in the original question. He asked for an MR scan of my brain and a hearing test both of which came out good (no tumors, no hearing loss). After seeing the results he told me that i would have to get used to it.. which made (still makes) me think its not an infection he would try to eliminate with medication or something in my ear (like wax) he would try to remove. This is where i start feeling unguided. Have you encountered a specific case lie the one i am describing before. I am only asking this because im trying to know if this is a known case /combination of symptoms.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
Not only have I witnessed transient tinnitis caused by congesion, wax, toxicity etc..I have personally experienced it. Have you tried taking a decongestant?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have not been prescribed any medication. Can i just get and use them?
And to be more specific, when i say combination of symptoms i mean tinnitus accompanied by crackling when gulping. I have read tons of content regarding tinnitus but i never found anything about this crackling, wettening ear etc added to the tinnitus. I would very much like to think that this is "transient" as you said because it lowers the quality of my life a great deal. Should i see another specialist maybe?
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
yes, you cna get something like Sudafed, or Zyrtec D- which is an antihistamine decongestant. Cracking when swallowing is almost always congestion in the ear. Try the decongestant, if it doesn't help, which I really think it will...yes, see another Doctor.
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much Camille... this has been a change of perspective for me. Wish you all the best
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome:-)