Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

I am desperately trying to lose weight, week I stuck to my

Customer Question

I am desperately trying to lose weight, week I stuck to my diet not going over 1500 cal (i weigh 148k) and i never lost any thing this is not the first week of my diet, 5 weeks nothing gone. i am diabetic, had tests for thyroid probs nothing shows up. my eating habits were watched all last week to see if i'm secretly eating i'm not . GP is at a loss. any ideas would help. in the UK.
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 6 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

Did you gain any weight? Or, did your weight stay the same?

Edited by Valarie on 5/1/2010 at 3:39 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I gains 1lb last week and 0.5ib this week
Expert:  Valarie replied 6 years ago.

Your problem is that you are still consuming more calories than you are using. This problem can be complicated by the disease processes you are dealing with, as well as the medications you have to take. It will just make weight loss a bit more challenging for you.

In order to lose weight you need to use more calories every day than you eat. And since, obviously, you are still gaining weight at 1500 calories this mean a couple of things.

1) you need to eat fewer calories

2) you need to boost your metabolism so that you are using more calories than you currently use.

A few suggestions:

---Make sure there are no "hidden" calories in the things you eat. It is very tempting to look past the little amounts of sugars in salad dressing, ketchup, etc. Also, favorite food seasoning and cooking utilize fats which can also be easily overlooked.

Eating out is a problem. The restaurant may "say" its a low cal salad, but unless there is nothing on it---its not low cal. Just examples.

---Watch portion sizes, even weighing foods if you have to until you are accustomed to what a portion size is.

---Eat the right balance of different food groups during the day. Another dieting mistake can be counting only calories, and paying attention to the variety of food it takes for good nutrition.

---Get active. Losing weight successfully takes a balance of diet and exercise. Your body needs to move and exercise its muscles for good health and proper utilization of the food you eat.

Here are a link to the Food and Fitness section of the American Diabetic Association. Under the "Food" section is another section called "create my plate" with advice on types of food you should be eating, how much and when. Use this as a template for types of foods, while still counting your calories. You may have to reduce your calories even further, but do not go below 1200 calories.

Also, the links under "Fitness" have good suggestions on how to get moving. More activity leads to feeling better, which leads to more activity and if you keep it up, you will be able to eat more and still lose weight (or maintain once you reach your goals).

All of this, of course, needs to be discussed with your physician. And I am assuming you are watching your blood sugar levels as well. For a diabetic, medication and dieting can be a delicate balancing act. That's why more activity is so essential.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I know all that already, my diet has been worked out specifically for me by my dietitian including brands of dressings as we have had extensive discussions on what I eat when, why and how. I weigh 148k I wear a monitored pedometer which has worked out I am walking on average 3.5km a day for the last 3 weeks and I have eaten average 1463 calories as they suggested I drop my calories, the professionals are now struggling to work out what is causing slight weight gain instead of weight loss, sorry to sound a stress head but apart from going on a liquid diet I can't see how much more I can cut out.
Expert:  Valarie replied 6 years ago.

In general, it is not considered healthy to go below 1200 calories because you would not be able to get enough nutrients. I know this is frustrating for you. Another thing to consider is that at your age you may be starting to have some hormonal changes that will affect fluids in your body. It would be important to realize the difference in actual weight gain caused from fat, and weight gain as a result of fluid retention. Fluids in your body are very heavy.

Keep in mind also, that if exercise is new for you, your actual weight loss is going to be influenced by loss of fat vs. building muscle. If you put a block of fat next to the same size block of muscle, the muscle will weigh more. Plus, muscle needs calories to maintain itself, whereas fat just sits there with no need for energy to maintain it.

Keep at it. You are going about it the right way. Give yourself some time and you will start to see a downward trend. In the meantime, good nutrition and being active can only have positive consequences. Soon, clothes will fit better, and you will just feel better and be happier. It will not happen overnight. I totally understand the need to see positive outcomes quickly to maintain your motivation. I struggle with this as well. But, your changes will need to become your new life, for the rest of your life. So for now, you need to concentrate on "enjoying" the idea of eating well, living well, and moving. After all, it won't do any good to work so hard to lose weight and then get back into the life that created the excess weight.