Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Hi there. Ive been experiencing UTI symptoms for 6 days. I

Hi there. I've been experiencing UTI symptoms for 6 days. I went to the doctor on day 3, and she prescribed a 3 day course of amoxicillin (250mg 3x per day). My last dose is tomorrow morning and I'm concerned that I still have symptoms. It is not as uncomfortable as it was when it first started 6 days ago, but I'm still getting a burning sensation when I urinate (and it lingers for a while after). In other words, the course seems to have made little or no difference so far.

If the symptoms are still there by tomorrow's dose, should I go to the out of hours surgery or is ok to wait until Monday morning? Or can I leave it longer? Whenever I've had antibiotics for infections in the past, I've felt better quite quickly.

Greetings.

If the symptoms are not completely abated; you need to go to out of hours surgery, so further course of antibiotic can be continued without interruption and there is no gap so bacteria would not develop resistance to the antibiotic. The reason of inadequate response can be;

1) The bacteria which is causing present infection are either less sensitive or not sensitive to the amoxicillin.

2) The infection severity is high so it will take longer course of the antibiotics.

You can also do following also;

1) Increased uptake of water and fluids; 2.5 to 3 liter per day.

2) Avoid caffeine and alcohol drinks

3) Drinking Cranberry juice.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun