Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

My health condition seems to be beyond understanding of the

My health condition seems to be beyond understanding of the doctors I've been to-- cardiologist, endocrinologist, nutritionist (natural medicine), allergy specialist. Diagnosed about 3 years ago with celiac disease. Also neuropathy before that (balance problem).
Heart basically healthy, no clogged arteries. Have a pacemaker. Blood pressure goes up and down like a roller coaster at times, then o.k. for periods. I have flare-ups, (perhaps of celiac symptoms), when I have the feeling of intense cold, especially my legs. Then blood pressure goes up and down, lots of gas, at times constipation, digestive problems, sore glands. Also ears full feeling. Am on meds and supplements, Avoid gluten religiously. Not really enough room to mention all problems. The blood pressure ups and downs bother me the most.
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome. I'm sorry it has been such a long time since you posted your question and have not yet received a response. It seems your problems are a puzzlement not only to your doctors, but to the experts here as well.

I have some questions for you:

Are you absolutely sure you are avoiding all gluten? Even "stealth" gluten (as WebMD calls it) found in those mysterious ingredients on food labels? And do you eat oats?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I am careful to avoid gluten. I seldom eat out, but once in a while, and am very careful as to what I order. I read labels all the time when shopping. I have a book that tells me about foods that are gluten free. I can see a digestive problem if I should get some gluten, but how would that relate to the blood pressure roller coaster?

I do eat oats, but only the kind that say gluten free on the label.

This morning my blood pressure was reasonably normal when I got up. Then about 3 hours later I took it and the 1st number was good, the 2nd a little high and the pulse 113. I don't understand the pulse being so high. Can any of the meds I take cause changes like this? I really don't like being on warfarin. I don't know for sure if the good outweighs the bad. The other meds were working, for awhile for keeping b.p. down, then something changed.
Expert:  Valarie replied 4 years ago.

Celiac disease (and I know you probably already know this) can cause damage to the lining of the gastrointestinal tract over time, and that causes malabsorption problems. You don't get the nutrients you need for proper functioning of all body systems. Over time, this could affect cardiovascular, liver, renal, immune system, and brain health as well as digestive.

Otherwise, you blood pressure may be affected by heart disease and/or intolerance of medications, as well as fluid shifts. Thats primarily why I asked about the gluten, because you can get fluid retention with celiac disease. Fluid fluctuations up and down can cause the same fluctuations in your blood pressure.

Since you seem to be ok with avoiding gluten, you should discuss your continuing problems with blood pressure and pulse rate with your doctor. Hopefully, you are seeing a Cardiologist. You may need adjustment, or change of your cardiac meds (toprol and rythmol). The right combination of cardiac meds can be a fine balancing act, so it is important to inform your doctor of your symptoms. A log of your blood pressures and pulse rates, along with symptoms, over some time can be helpful to show the doctor during appointments.

With your pulse rate being variable, the warfarin is still a good idea to prevent blood clots from forming. The consequences of these (heart attack, stroke, pulmonary emboli) can be life threatening or at the least, destroy your health and well-being. It is worth the risks to continue this medication (with proper monitoring by your doctor, of course).

I know this is alot of "words". So, I will sum up with this:

Make sure your doctor is fully aware of your symptoms so that changes in your medication regimen can be altered if need be. And if you are not seeing a cardiologist, request a referral.

Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management