Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

My cardiologist has proposed my 4th heart cath in 6 years.

Customer Question

My cardiologist has proposed my 4th heart cath in 6 years. 2004 he performed the first heart cath and placed a stent. One year later he did another heart cath to see if the stent was still open and functioning. It was. 2007 he determined from a stress tred mill test that their my be a blockage and I underwent another procedure. He said the blockage was only 20% so he did nothing. Now he is proposing another heart cath becuase he says the latest stress tred nill test is not definitive enough to tell and the only sure way is another heart cath. My latest blood work shows cholesterol of 132, HDL 45, LDL 57, Triglycerides 148. My question is should I undergo this procedure again or seek another cardiologist diagnosis.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 6 years ago.

Sorry for the problem.

Please let me know a little more about the symptoms so that I can try. Do you have any symptoms? How frequent ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have no symptoms, no chest pain/angina etc. I am overweight at 6ft.2in. and 306 lbs., which is the doctors reason that the stress treadmill test is inconclusive. He says my belly gets in the way and a good x ray is not possible hence the need for another heart cath, but this was his reason the last time in 2007. In view of all this I question the need or legitimacy for another invasive procedure. Hope this helps.
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the input.

I shall try my best to explain the condition. Cath is an invasive procedure.When you do not have any sympXXXXX XXXXXke chest pain, or discomfort & the stress test is inconclusive, I think, you can take the opinion of another cardiologist befoe subjecting yourself to an invasive procedure.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.

Edited by Dr. SS on 5/1/2010 at 8:42 AM EST