Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

appointment with an allergist on wed

9 year old daughter has terrible allergies. We have an appointment with an allergist on wed. we were told not to take any allergy meds for 1 week so they could perform allegy testing. She just started wheezing what can we do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 years ago.

Albuterol would be the treatment of choice to alleviate wheezing quickly. This would not interfere with allergy testing. If severe enough to cause her difficulty in breathing then this would override the need for specific allergy testing such as if needed to alleviate an asthma exacerbation then she might need further treatment such as steroids and Singulair that would interfere with allergy testing. Empiric treatment for asthma now and postponement of the allergy testing is an option. Depending on her symptoms then I would recommend that she be checked by pediatrician tonight or tomorrow for the wheezing. Discuss with the doctor the plan for allergy testing and then the doctor can weigh this factor vs more immediate potential need for treatment.

I hope this helps. Further questions are welcome if you have others. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD