Dr. S Riaz
Dr. S Riaz, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MS from KGMU, India (one of the best medical colleges in India)

Question about lung Pneumatocel(Air Cysts)

I am a Medical Assistant who stopped smoking 1 week ago, I started a bad cough with sputum that had blood in it. I went to work the next day had a 103 fever after work I went to a after hours walk in clinic, they did a chest xray, the dr. reviewed the xray and said I have pneumonia,pleural effusion and 4 Pneumatocel (Air Cysts) he told me it probably staph pneumonia, should I be concerned about cancer I am scared never heard of this.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

These sigs and symptoms are most consistent with the diagnosis of pneumonia particularly staph pneumonia. Pneumatocoeles are thin walled cysts that contain air and may develop as a sequel to acute pneumonia commonly caused by staph. Pleural effusion can also be caused by a bacterial pneumonia. So these findings are most suggestive of pneumonia. You can discuss it with your doctor. Thanks and best wishes.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
But since there was no masses seen i should not worry?

Yes, cancer is unlikely. Pneumatocoeles are usually seen in children though and in adults they are infrequent. They usually resolve spontaneously and completely. I do not think you need to worry for cancer. Thanks and best wishes.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much! I feel better

You're most welcome.

Please, do not forget to click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get credit for my work. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.